Friday, June 05, 2009

No, don't warn me

I'm finding it difficult to look back on a time when I was this happy. Perhaps in the wonder of childhood, when everything was new. There are things to be said about this happiness, the circumstance and perspective, but this is summer. Hardly a time for retrospect.

I'm here, now. And part of the pleasure is refusing the times I wasn't here, now, intrusion into my head. Certainly, I flit from memory to memory like a bird between branches just like you do. But these days I'm noticing the time I'm wasting somewhere, some astral plane if I may, other than the momentous and beautiful present. And I'm really trying to quit it, the bounding from guilt to worry and back, because it doesn't mean anything real to me anymore. We have, perhaps, learned to live in this impossible multi-temporal state of "where will I be next year?" when honestly-- we'll be right here, in the forever-present, as we were. And this journey our minds make is a distraction from everything that is lovely and going on currently. "Currently." Like the river we move with.

All this time talk, so to foil myself: Bonnaroo in less than a week and I am excited.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Psht...what is this happiness stuff? I came here to read about your little town BLUES!

Take it in and enjoy every moment.

MJ Refurbished said...

here and now is really all that matters, even though I maintain that a past can exist, it is irrelevant and inconsequential.