Thursday, February 15, 2007

Blown a wish

You know, I have never had a valentine.

Just throwing that one out there.

I was doing better at updating regularly for a while, and now I'm back to slacking off again. Though, as usual, I have the "nothing to report" plea to fall back on. Valentine's Day this year brought with it some snow. Or rather, quite a lot of snow. Enough foul weather, in fact, to cancel all the classes at good ol' RCNJ. Good new, right? Sure. If it was any day but Wednesday. Mother Nature has a sick taste for irony, doesn't she? Piling us with snow on the one day of the week that I have a class I enjoy. It couldn't be tomorrow- rescuing me from an early math class in which a group project is due and a late Readings in Humanities class in which an essay is due. An essay that, of course, I have not yet begun. Typical, eh? Typical.

So in many senses, the bleak wintered stormy weathered Valentine's Day is oh-so appropriate. Like the coldness of my heart, emo-me says. But seriously, I can't stand Valentine's Day. I hate the idea of recognizing a holiday celebrated by a select population. It's like... a day for the people who are happy anyway to be extra happy and rub it in the faces of those who aren't. Let's all just celebrate how fucking happy we all are! Please. Sure I'm bitter. But I am so not alone in this.

I woke up this morning for long enough to check my email and make sure that I didn't have a class to prepare for. Then I rolled over for another good hour and a half. After finally getting up, showering, and dressing it was time to work on that math project. The one that's due tomorrow. We finished it up (and when I say "we", I really mean Ashley and Jess. I am so useless at math. I pretty much sat there and stole Ashley's music. I'm such a waste.) and parted ways.

Then I watched Eurotrip and chilled with some legit people (at Ramapo!) until around 6:30, at which point I had to make good on a promise I made to Casey a couple weeks ago. A promise that I'd accompany her on guitar while she sings "You Get Me" by Michelle Branch to Mark. So we did that and it was cute and sweet and adorable and "awwww"-inspiring. Yeah. Oh, how I hate you, St. Valentine.

So I went back and we ordered up some Chinese, hung out, and played Scene-It for a while. Afterwards we just talked about all aspects of life for.... for hours. It was seriously incredible. I'd missed that. It was really refreshing and I felt so welcomed. I can't really phrase anything without sounding lame so you'll have to trust me. Even without the typical ingredients to a good college time... I had fun.

"But you... but you... You write such pretty words."

But I guess there are worse things than being alone on Valentine's Day. Being single on Valentine's Day. Because there's all this promise, right? All. This. Hope. That maybe she's right around the corner or in the blind spot beneath my nose. Maybe she's staring me in the face but glancing away when I chance a look. Like we're taking turns flinching and missing each other. Or maybe she's waiting somewhere in the coming months. Here, home, elsewhere... Who knows? All I can say with some semblance of certainty is that she's out there somewhere. Somwhere watching the Earth turn and hoping that I'm out there. Counting stars in the same way we're all blown a wish on the wings of tomorrows and tomorrows and tomorrows.

Awfully romantic for being anti-V-Day, wouldn't you say?

Yeah. I guess I would too.

Bomb the Blogosphere,
Mike

Note: Today's title refers to "Blown a Wish" by My Bloody Valentine off the album Loveless. Ain't I clever?

No comments: